Would you like to turn heads when you walk into a room? Feel unshakably confident in your body? And live your life to the absolute fullest potential every single day? If the answer is yes, then this may be the most important article you stumble upon this year.
Why is that? Because I’m about to share with you a profoundly underrated, often disregarded, and deeply criticized personal development gem that’s a complete life-changer (although you may already be in the know).
Some women may assert that it’s total BS. That it’s shallow, antiquated, even misogynous. But, I find these sentiments to be particularly disingenuous. Because the fact is that in our society, how we dress matters. And being a well-dressed woman has the potential to exponentially impact and dare I say even improve your life. Seriously. It happened to me.
You see, I spent much of my early twenties sloppily dressing in flip flops, spandex leggings, and t-shirts every day. This was partly because I lacked confidence in the way I looked, partly because I lacked the “know-how” of putting together flattering outfits, and partly because I just naively followed all the other lazily dressed women around me.
But after living abroad for some time (France, Italy, and Latin America), seeing how women in these places carried themselves, and how their style spilled over into every aspect of their lives, my world view completely shifted. When I made dressing better a priority, it opened my life to so much improvement and opportunities I never could’ve ever imagined before.
When I started dressing better and improving my style, improving my hair and makeup seemed like a no-brainer. For my makeup to look great, I had to take better care of my skin. So I started eating better. I started working out. Before I knew it I was meditating, even reading more. I met some incredible girlfriends at my gym. I started socializing more and even met my incredible partner after years in an unfulfilling relationship.
Today, I’m on a continuous journey of self-improvement. And not just improving my style and cultivating a fabulous wardrobe. But in every aspect of my life. In no particular order, here’s a cheeky list of 101 things that happen to you when you start dressing better and become a well-dressed woman.
1. High caliber men check you out.
2. High caliber women check you out.
3. Your posture improves.
4. Your self-confidence increases.
5. You feel good about yourself.
6. Which makes you smile more.
7. Hence, people smile at you more.
8. You begin to understand the power of being a well-dressed woman.
9. People inherently trust you.
10. Hence, strangers ask you for directions.
11. Friends ask you for style advice.
12. Random people ask you for style advice.
13. People gladly open the door for you.
14. You can literally stop traffic. Cars more readily stop to let you cross the street.You understand the difference between Fashion & Style.
15. You understand the difference between Fashion & Style.
16. People become jealous and make insecure assumptions about you.
17. Most people however admire and make good assumptions about you.
18. Your friends poke fun at you.
19. Those same friends start copying your style.
20. Your social circle may upgrade.
21. You make more money.
22. You feel awkward trying new styles.
23. You see style faux pas everywhere.
24. You try hard not to judge people’s bad style, (but can’t help but pity them a little bit)
25. You get the job, (even though you weren’t the most experienced).
26. Your manager gives you a break on that missed deadline.
27. You feel awkward being overdressed, (compared to everyone else).
28. Yet you hate feeling underdressed.
29. You get over feeling awkward and embrace being a well-dressed woman.
30. People laugh at your jokes, (even when they’re not funny).
31. At hotels, you get upgraded to suites.
32. At airports, you get upgraded to first class.
33. At restaurants, you get the best seat in the house.
34. When you’re pulled over for speeding, the officer lets you go with a warning.
35. You give (and get) a small nod of approval to other well dressed women.
36. You despise clothing that doesn’t fit well.
37. You loathe clothing that is badly made.
38. Your focus shifts from quantity, to quality.
39. You cringe when you see old pictures of yourself.
40. You more often than not nail looking effortlessly chic.
41. Yet other days you still struggle to find a decent outfit.
42. People compliment you all the time.
43. So much so that you start to expect compliments; and accept them graciously.
44. Other people expect more of you.
45. You expect more from yourself.
46. People who never noticed you before, start to take notice.
48. You commit to staying fit so your clothes will look good.
49. You grow a fond appreciation for dresses.
50. Dresses become more comfortable to wear.
51. You feel naked without one staple accessory like your sunnies, watch, or handbag.
52. Your budget adjusts to prioritize building your timeless capsule wardrobe.
53. You become expert at analyzing street style, (good and bad) walking down the street.
54. People expect you to be well mannered.
55. People expect you to be smart and well spoken.
56. You can critique trends with a more discerning eye.
57. Hence, you become un-phased by fast fashion tactics.
58. Older people assume the best about you.
59. Work superiors respect you more.
60. People also feel more respected by you.
61. You get comfortable with people admiring you.
62. You happily clear out ¾ of your wardrobe, (that hasn’t changed much since high school) to the Goodwill.
63. Bartenders serve you first.
64. They also remember your name.
65. You stop wearing flip flops (unless you’re going to the beach)
66. You’re more thoughtful about wearing gym shoes any ol’ place.
67. Ironing becomes a non-negotiable.
68. As does steaming.
69. Your boyfriend is excited to show you off when out and about.
70. You constantly receive packages in the mail.
71. You constantly have things to be returned.
72. Your dry cleaning budget doubles.
73. You learn how to hand wash clothes.
74. You know your body measurements.
75. Shopping becomes a finely tuned skill.
76. In group settings, people want to hear what you have to say.
77. The top drawer of your dresser becomes filled with mini lint rollers, double-sided table, underarm guards, and baby pins.
78. You start reading style blogs and style books.
79. You adopt style inspiration muses.
80. Sunday becomes wardrobe maintenance day (laundry, shoe shining, ironing).
81. Grooming becomes super important.
82. You experiment with different hairstyles.
83. Men value your opinion about their style.
84. Women value your opinion about their style.
85. You look forward to cold weather, because you get to layer.
86. You also look forward to spring because, florals, yes!
87. You also look forward to summer because, bikinis, sandals, shorts, hats… yes!
88. Packing becomes much easier.
89. You know a seamstress.
90. You know a shoe cobbler.
91. You ditch your high school jeans.
92. You realize just how versatile a good pair of slacks is.
93. Your wardrobe expands significantly and is versatile.
94. You swear by only felt or wooden hangers.
95. People assume you’re wealthy.
96. You always want to dress appropriately for the occasion.
97. You’re always prepared for impromptu invites.
98. You’re more engaged with life.
99. Your standards for everything increases.
100. You become happier
101. You keep pushing yourself because after all, life + style is a journey, not a destination.
Who would’ve thought dressing well could impact your life so much? To level up your look, improve your style, and start dressing better is not easy. But I promise, it’s a fun and worthwhile journey I invite you to embark upon.
Think of it like the domino effect. Dressing well can be that first (or second, or third) domino that triggers a series of positive events in your life. Dressing well is one relatively small, yet significant self-improvement step that drives momentum to live a most beautiful life.
Interested in leveling up your look and dressing better?
Over the last three years I’ve researched style, dressing well, and how to build a stylish wardrobe efficiently without spending a fortune on fancy new clothes. I help women do this by guiding them through building an interchangeable capsule wardrobe.
What’s an Interchange capsule wardrobe? An interchangeable capsule wardrobe is a small well thought out collection of clothes, carefully curated to fit one’s style, lifestyle, and seamlessly interchange with each other for versatility. Want to learn how to build one of your own? Jump on over to another article I put together on how to build an interchangeable capsule wardrobe. Until next time, stay fabulous!